The benefits of the Affordable Care Act law have already begun. Here is what could happen if the law does not stay intact.
- Children could be denied coverage because of a pre-existing condition (asthma, diabetes, etc.)
- Health insurance companies could drop people from coverage if they get sick.
- Health insurance companies could again set lifetime limits on benefits.
- Parents would be unable to cover their adult children on their plans.
- Seniors who are in the Medicare “doughnut hole” would pay more for prescription drugs.
- Preventative care would be more expensive for people in Medicare and private insurance plans.
- Small businesses and non-profits would lose tax credits for providing coverage for their employees.
- Oversight of insurance companies (rates, accountability) would be weakened.