After the 9-state bus tour in June, many people were motivated to organize smaller “Nuns on the Bus” campaigns in their states. While NETWORK does not have capacity at this time to lead other tours, we encourage people to organize local tours/campaigns, and will support them as much as we can.
Criteria for local campaigns to be endorsed/supported by NETWORK:
- Organize a group to do public events (e.g. visits to Congressional offices, visits to social service agencies, press conferences, etc.) to show opposition to the Ryan/House Budget and support for a Faithful Budget. The event/campaign could focus on a specific budget issue such as Medicaid expansion, food stamps, military spending etc.
- Have nun(s) involved, or a faith perspective that "we are all nuns." Faith is an important part of this effort.
- Support reasonable revenue for responsible programs.
- Lift up good faith-based programs for people at the economic margins, pointing out the federal-private partnerships.
- Don’t do partisan campaign work with it. This also means be civil in tone and inclusive in approach…this is about the 100%. We all do better if there are reduced wealth and income disparities.
Materials to help you with your campaign
Please let us know about your plans for a Nuns on the Bus campaign by using this form: State/Local NOTB form
Read the stories from state/local Nuns on the Bus tours.
You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to access the pdf resources. If you don't have it on your computer, you can download it for free