At least 200 members, or supporters, of “Nuns on the Bus” continue our work to educate the public in-person and through press events, and to challenge members of Congress who had voted in favor of the House-passed FY13 federal budget.
On September 24, “Nuns on the Ferry” took the message to New York City. Blaire Bartlett, scheduler to Representative Grimm, agreed the week before to try to schedule a meeting, despite his packed schedule visiting the elderly in Manhattan- perhaps at 11:00, prior to the pre-scheduled 11:30 press conference at South Terminal, she would get back to me at the end of the week. She also arranged for our meeting at 2:00 at the Staten Island office.
The end of the week came, with NO call back.
- 9:15 AM on Monday morning - I called from the train to be told she was in Brooklyn for the week.
- 11:35 AM - Blaire returned my call, Rep. Grimm would be glad to meet in Brooklyn office at 2:00. (I communicated that we would have people meeting us on Staten Island, whom we could not reach before then. She said she would talk with him about another time and call back in 5 minutes.)
- 12:30 PM - press conference on Staten Island – still no return call.
- 2:00 PM - meeting with Aaron Ceder and David Carr at the Staten Island office.
- 2:55 PM - I called Blaire on her cell phone. She said she would check again and call in a few minutes.
- 3:30 PM - On the Ferry, Blaire calls to say there is no time to meet later, the Representative has a 5:30 event.
By the time Bl