July 1, 2012: Following the Supreme Court decision, Governor Bobby Jindal (R) rejected federal funding to provide health coverage for the uninsured. With Republican majorities in both the House and Senate, there is much work to do!
Ways to Get Involved:
- A team is is working on this right now in Louisiana! We currently have team members in Baton Rouge, New Orleans, and Shreveport. To be a part of this team, email Sr. Mary Ellen at email@example.com 
Previous Actions Taken:
- February 5, 2013: NETWORK members called and emailed the governor’s office to express that they stand with the Catholic sisters (see below) in support of accepting this federal money.
- February 4, 2013: A group of Catholic sisters met with Governor Jindal’s health policy advisor to express their support for accepting this federal funding.
- January 16, 2013: Following the hand-delivery of this letter (see below), an electronic version was emailed to key members of Gov. Jindal’s staff
- January 15, 2013: A letter calling on Governor Jindal to accept this federal funding, signed by the leaders of 14 different religious congregations in the state, was hand-delivered to his office
- One page fact-sheet on enrollment, eligibility, and cost: http://www.cbpp.org/files/healthtoolkit2012/Louisiana.pdf 
- Poll shows strong public support: http://www.jointcenter.org/research/the-deep-south-and-medicaid-expansion 
- Report from LA's Department of Health and Hospitals  finds major cost-savings for the state
- Economic Benefits: http://familiesusa2.org/assets/pdfs/medicaid-expansion/Louisiana.pdf 
- Medicaid Expansion is an Opportunity to Invest in LA's Workforce: http://www.labudget.org/lbp/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Medicaid-expansion-an-opportunity-to-invest.pdf?b467e680