February 23, 2013: The VA legislature passed a budget that paves the way for Medicaid expansion, no earlier than July 1, 2014. This budget has yet to be signed by Gov. Bob McDonnell (R). The budget language calls for a special commission to judge whether certain reforms have been met, before proceeding with expansion. To be clear, Medicaid expansion is not a "done deal" yet in VA. Read here  to learn more.
Ways to Get Involved:
- One of NETWORK’s partners on this project, Virginia Interfaith Center for Public Policy, has been organizing around this issue. To join in this important effort, please email Holly Coy, from Virginia Interfaith Center, at firstname.lastname@example.org  or Sr. Mary Ellen at email@example.com 
- Since Gov. McDonnell is a Catholic, we would love to organize a “sign-on” letter to him from Catholic sisters ministering to the people in Virginia. If this sounds like something you or your congregation would be interested in, please contact Sr. Mary Ellen Lacy at firstname.lastname@example.org 
Past Actions Taken
- December 18, 2012: NETWORK partnered with the Virginia Interfaith Center for Public Policy, Virginia Organizing, and the Virginia Poverty Law Center to host community events in Fredericksburg and Richmond regarding the impact of accepting this federal money.
- One page fact-sheet on eligibility, enrollment, and cost: http://www.cbpp.org/files/healthtoolkit2012/Virginia.pdf 
- How this federal funding will save Virginia money and lives: http://www.thecommonwealthinstitute.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/120808_saving_money_saving_lives.pdf